Business Tax General Information

The City of Lompoc does not issue a business license, rather a Business Tax Certificate (BTC). The BTC is non-regulatory and does not entitle the holder to conduct business in a zone where conducting business violates law. It is non-transferable and the certificate must be carried or posted in a conspicuous place at the business location. It is unlawful for any person to transact and carry on any business, trade, profession, calling, or occupation in the City of Lompoc without first having procured a BTC from the City.

Process time for an application is approximately 3 to 21 business days from the date a fully completed application is received to issuance of the BTC or Exempt Business License. Any BTC issued is contingent upon conformance with all municipal codes, and state and federal regulations.

All BTCs are valid until June 30th of each year following the issuance and must be renewed thereafter before July 31st to avoid penalties. It is the responsibility of the business to ensure that the tax is paid each year whether or not they receive a renewal notice. If there is a business closure or a business is no longer conducting business inside the City Limits, it is the responsibility of the business to notify the City.

Apply in person or by mail

For an application and fee schedule, please click on one of the following:

It is our desire to make this process as easy as possible; we encourage you to come into City Hall Monday – Friday 9am-5pm or call us at (805) 875-8241 to speak to an associate that can answer your questions.

If your business will be in a new, or existing building, it will need to be inspected by the City’s Building & Safety Division to confirm it meets Building Code requirements

You must also contact the City's Planning Department (805) 875-8228 to confirm:

  • ZONING: Is the prospective location or building you are looking at zoned for the type of business you plan to engage in?
  • BUILDING: Is the building up to present Building Codes (structural, electrical, etc.)?
  • SIGNS: If you plan to erect advertising structures, you must apply for sign permits.
  • MISCELLANEOUS: Commercial hoods, grease traps, building permits, etc, may be required before your business can be opened.

Special permits are required for solicitors or peddlers, secondhand dealers, cannabis/marijuana commercial operations, massage therapists, taxis, bingo games, carnivals and circuses, closing out sales, security guards, yard sales, dog kennels, large family daycare centers, alarm installation, detective agencies, fortune telling and astrology, organized public gatherings, filming, and painting numbers on curbs.

City of Lompoc - 100 Civic Center Plaza - Lompoc, CA 93436 - (805) 736-1261 - © 2011